If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (239) 302-5700

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Space Heaters Increase Fire Damage Risk in Naples

1/30/2018 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Space Heaters Increase Fire Damage Risk in Naples Placing your space heater too close to flammable objects such as blankets, towels, and curtains can cause a fire to start.

Tips for Preventing Fire Damage Caused by a Space Heater

Cold snaps in Naples are rare, but they do happen. Whether a native Floridian or a more recent resident moved in full time or only during the winter, coping with the chill can prove challenging. If the choice of warming the air in your home increases the risk of fire, residents must be cautious. When caution is not enough to evade fire, you need our help to recover your property from the damage.

An apparently simple solution for colder than typical temperatures in Florida is a space heater. A space heater is inexpensive and requires no major installation to bring warmth into a home, making it a popular choice. Naples residents need to know that 15 percent of the fire damage in U.S. homes traces its cause to heating systems, and over 40 percent of these fires attribute to space heaters. We are familiar with the devastation caused by a space heater accident or malfunction.

SERVPRO notes the most common ways a fire starts because of a space heater are the following:

  • Placing blankets, curtains, or other combustibles too close to the heater
  • Tipping of the space heater by children, pets, or anyone who trips over the cord
  • Failing to keep the heater clean of dust
  • Using an extension cord or power strip that cannot handle the load
  • Continuing to use an outdated unit not up to code

The first three expose flammable materials to the intense heat of the coils. A fire set this way burns hot and fast. The last two threaten a possible electrical fire which can smolder or cause a fire between walls in the wiring. No matter what type of fire damage your home suffers, SERVPRO’s highly-qualified crews respond quickly.

Expect our crew to assess the situation thoroughly and design a comprehensive restoration plan to clean, restore, and arrange for repairs. Loose soot and ash receive a dry sponging and vacuuming while the stickier, thicker residues from a fire that smoldered are cleaned with sprays, solvents, and abrasives, chosen for efficient results based on the IICRC coursework our technicians mastered. SERVPRO deodorization specialists then evaluate the need for technologically advanced odor eliminating efforts like thermal fogging or hydroxyl generation if cleaning is inadequate to abate the smell.

Engage the services of SERVPRO of Naples / Marco Island with confidence if a space heater causes fire damage to your home. Call (239) 302-5700 24 hours a day to set up an assessment by our skilled fire damage experts.

To learn more about the Naples Fire Department and fire prevention click here.

Other News

View Recent Posts