5 Facts You Should Know About Mold Damage in Marco Island
Rely on SERVPRO to Properly Remediate Mold Damage in Your Home
You have most likely heard about mold damage in homes, or even noticed signs of fungal growth in your own home. It is a fact that at some point most householders find themselves facing a dark green or black patch of growth which they need to remediate. We are all familiar with the unpleasant musty smell of mold. SERVPRO is your local remediation expert, and we are also passionate about providing education to Marco Island homeowners.
Here are 5 facts we think you should know about mold damage in Marco Island.
- Mold is already in your home – whether you can see it or not. Many people do not realize that mold is everywhere. The fungus is a naturally occurring organism throughout nature. Because the spores are impossible to see with the naked eye, you do not always see mold’s presence, but it is there.
- Moisture is the leading cause of fungal problems in the home. The fungus requires water to grow, which is why it is common in basements, bathrooms and laundry rooms. SERVPRO remediation experts have moisture probes and meters on hand to measure the dampness and pinpoint potential underlying problems.
- Bleach does not kill mold. It is a popular myth that bleach is the best way to kill the fungus. However, bleach should not be your go-to remedy. The moisture content of bleach can make growth worse, and bleach only clears away the surface evidence; it does not treat the underlying problem.
- Mold can be useful. It was mold which helped Alexander Fleming develop Penicillin, which is one of the most trusted and commonly used antibiotics on the market today. There is even some evidence that ancient cultures such as the Egyptians used mold as a health remedy. Of course, even though mold can be useful, you do not want colonies growing in your home – that is why it is essential to call SERPVRO at the first sign of fungal growth.
- Dehumidification and proper ventilation are the best way to prevent mold. Our customers often ask us what they can do after we leave. We suggest investing in a dehumidifier and keeping the humidity in your home below 60%, and between 40% - 50% if possible. We also suggest keeping your home well ventilated.
For help with fungal issues in Miles City, Monroe Station, Marco Island, Wagon Wheel and surrounding areas, call SERVPRO of Naples / Marco Island at (239) 302-5700 today.
Click here for more information regarding Marco Island, Florida.