If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (239) 302-5700

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

The Dangers of Device Chargers and Fires in Marco Island

2/10/2017 (Permalink)

Fire Damage The Dangers of Device Chargers and Fires in Marco Island Inspect your chargers regularly. But if you do have a fire, call SERVPRO quickly to remediate.

SERVPRO Technicians Regularly Remediate Fire Damage


The number and variety of electronic mobile devices which need to charge are always increasing. These include mp3 players, tablets, laptops, cell phones, and e-readers. All chargers for these devices need space to breathe. They put off quite a bit of heat during the charge cycles that must dissipate with the right amount of ventilation. If you cover the devices and they cannot breathe, they can build up the heat and lead to a fire. The lithium-ion batteries installed in these devices have containers that are pressurized that can rupture when the temperature quickly rises, or melt down if it is hot for a long time. If your device has caused a fire, you will need a fire remediation company, such as SERVPRO.

Pillows, blankets, and bedding in your Marco Island home can block airflow and trap heat in your device. Therefore, do not leave your electronics charging on your bed while you are sleeping, as this can easily start a fire and cause fire damage.

You need to inspect your power cords and chargers on a regular basis for any excessive wear, as damaged cables can emit electrical sparks which can start a fire. Frayed or damaged cords should be thrown out right away. SERVPRO should be alerted immediately if you have experienced a fire because of a device charger.

One of the biggest risks is believed to be the availability of cheap, generic chargers. Safety and fire experts have reported that chargers on auctions sites are a lot cheaper than their branded counterparts, but that there is no guarantee that they meet safety standards. It was found that more than half had been wired with sub-standard components, and none of them complied with the requirements of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration standards.

Different devices need varying levels of charge. Generic chargers, therefore, run the risk of putting too much energy into a device, which causes the battery to overheat. A fire can quickly start, especially if it is left unattended.

Branded chargers are not as likely to create a problem since they are designed specifically for particular devices. They are the most reliable when it comes to fire safety.

Small fires can start quickly, and spread even faster. If your home has been damaged by a device or charger fire, contact SERPVRO of Naples/Marco Island immediately. We have the experience, tools, and skills to mitigate your fire damage correctly. Give us a call anytime at (239) 302-5700, so we can come out to your home and go over the repairs and process of remediation with you.